Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hundred in da Hood


Saturday AM, I toed the line at 0500 in the cold and dark. My partner Geof and I were ready to blast off at the pace of a banana slug.

Olga said "go", holding the official race time keeper which looked suspiciously like a beat-up Timex.

Geof and I have become friends and evolved into running partners. He's perfect: ruggedly handsome, self-deprecating and reliable. We run well together- but he always beats me at the end!


We ran well once the sun came up. As always, it was trying to run at a good pace with flashlights.


I never feel good in races. In fact, if I just don't feel bad, that's good.


I kept feeling strong and motivated. Geof and I kept reining each other in, thinking of the 100 miles to go.


I would lead him on the flats and down hills and he would lead me on the uphills.


Geof apparently grew up in same toxic soup that I had. He was a master at self-deprecation- just like me. The best defense is an offense. Insult yourself before anyone else can! We both excel at this and passed the time insulting ourselves for the other's enjoyment. What can I say? We're both givers!


The day was sunny and quite cool.


We ran well to mile 28. I had already had two bouts of diarrhea. The second time, I had to wipe my arse with my running hat because I had lost my T.P. I had literally become a shithead.


Geof and I teamed up with powerful Pam. We talked the miles away. Except for a moment of mental weakness around 40, I continued to feel strong and positive- a rarity for myself.


We were welcomed by Craig Thornley et al at the mile 45 aid station. He always does a great job and knows what to do. The bad news was Lemiti was not to be a true AS and we had over 10 miles to go to the next aid.



The day became increasingly hot. Geof and I kept running and running and running. My Garmin watch told me that maybe we hadnt missed the next aid station but my empty water bottles, gel flask and Geof's increasingly negative, worried and gruff utterances said otherwise!


Finally, when we were both out of water and food, and getting increasingly upset, we stumbled onto a dirt road and an AS.


We were at mile 58. The route had not been marked correctly and the first 12 or so people had missed the 55 mile AS. We had run 13 miles without aid.


Geof was feeling bad but he had two great crew to help. His loving wife was sacrificing her time on her birthday. Also, Joe Grant was there to pace him. Joe is a jedi runner who just kicked some arse with scott jurek at the run around Mt Blanc.


I complained a lot, filled up on human interaction, and took off slowly.


Geof and Joe passed me about 1/2 mile from the turnaround at Breitenbush.


Geof and I had run 58 miles together. The rest of the race, I would be alone.


I continued to feel awesome. I came into mile 75 AS where I was sposed to pick up my pacer, Mike Hall. Unfortunately, I was outrunning my predictions for when I would arrive at this AS. I left word for ham radio operators to try to find Erica and Mike so they wouldn't come here.
Erica had repeatedly asked if she could crew me. I feel guilty having her sacrifice her day so she can see me every two hours. I asked her to come see me at mile 75. She passed the day hiking with the babies. Yeah.


A short mile or so after this AS, I dramatically slowed, feeling quite human. I was passed by a guy and then didnt see another runner for about 15 miles. Mark Tanaka passed me at the 91 mile AS. From about mile 80, I was walking. I kept doing the "ultra math" and reasoned that I could walk the whole time and still finish under 24 hours. This had been my goal. For the first time ever in a race, I felt contentment. I was totally happy with myself, didnt mind getting passed- as long as I finished under 24! I went from 10th place to 14th by the finish line.


It became quite cold- around 33o. My teeth were chattering. I finished at 20:53.

This was a huge PR for me. Although I could have run more the last 20 miles and probably kept 10th place and finished just under 20 hours, I was so content.

2 comments:

  1. Just an amazing accomplishment. I am inspired for my mere 26.2 in 2 days. So am I to understand that hat went back on your head? Man, hardcore!!

    ReplyDelete