Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Bell Curve


I grew up in a liberal arts family.
Science and math were casually dismissed as foreign, unimportant or something about which to have distrust.

When in HS or so, I began hearing of this bell curve. This powerful entity that so simply reduced all populations to this perfectly circumscribed distribution. Tyranny of Republicanism, I shouted. How can you dictate how people will fall on a mathematical model? Growing up in an insulated, extemely well educated town, I thought for sure the bell curve was a lie. I had never even met someone who was "stupid!"

Fast forward some years. After taking physics, AKA applied mathematics, I realized the power, the beauty, the usefulness of calculus.

When I began taking my pre-med classes, I found myself for the first time at the far right of the curve, rather than in the plump apogee of its wide girth.

Drinking from the garden hose in medical school, studying my gluteus maximus off, I had a realization. You are always on a bell curve. In each given subpopulation, there is again a bell curve. When at one point you were at the far right, suddenly in a new group, you could be at the far left! Med school offered a huge realization that your position on the curve changes dependent on the population.

As a runner, in particular, an ultrarunner, I routinely accomplish objectives as part of my training that are lifelong bucket listers for others. I run a marathon every weekend.

I have always known that I was not a particularly physiologically gifted athlete. Sure, I can suffer through interminable runs and sometimes even do them faster than at snail's pace. However, I have always been well aware that I was not endowed with freakishly awesome physiology.

Intellectual knowledge of a fact is one thing. To be slapped in the face, roughly, in a raw manner, experientially, is another matter entirely.

Last weekend, I ran with JG. Young, motivated, intelligent and a hard-worker. Yes, all those things that I am not!

As my buddy Geof and I raggedly panted, WALKING up the 10-15% grade, JG slowly but effortlessly floated up the hill.

We all know that there are Lance Armstrongs, Tergats and others out there with insane physiology but it is a different thing entirely to be on the same hill and see what it really means.

I am firmly ensconced on the bell curve not at a ragged end but so sadly, right in the center. Mediocrity. A curse.

At least I have a lot of company though!

No comments:

Post a Comment